Lexus announced the world premiere of the all-new NX, the first model of Lexus’ next-generation range. The NX, as well as the forth-coming model lineup, will better meet the diversifying needs and lifestyles of customers the world over, and in doing so, will promote the realisation of a carbon-neutral society.
Since its establishment in 1989, Lexus has been committed to the spirit of innovation and has continued to take on the challenge of providing new technologies and values to its customers. With the launch of the first-generation RX in 1998, Lexus created a new category of luxury crossover SUV and has been a leader in that arena ever since.
In 2014, Lexus launched the NX, based on the concept of “Premium Urban Sports Gear.” Since then, the luxury crossover has been well-received by customers for its agile driving performance and powerful design. As of the end of April 2021, the NX has sold a cumulative total of approximately 1 million units in more than 90 countries and regions, and together with the RX, has grown to become a core global model for Lexus.
The new NX is the first model to introduce the next generation of Lexus and is based on the development concept of “Vital x Tech Gear.” This concept combines vital dynamism (Vital) with advanced technology (Tech). The new NX features improved linear response thanks to the strengthening of the car’s fundamentals, a design that attracts attention with athletic proportions, and many advanced, new technologies. Also, in order to establish the unique driving experience to be found in future electrified vehicles, Lexus focused on thoroughly improving driving control, aerodynamics, and weight reduction.
In addition, based on the “Lexus Electrified” electrification vision, the new NX will be available as both HEV and – a Lexus first – PHEV, further accelerating the roll-out of electrified vehicles for some markets. Lexus will respond to the diversifying needs of customers by offering a wide line-up of powertrains, including models powered by a 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated or a 2.4-litre turbo-charged engine as well as a hybrid variant. South Africa will introduce a full range at launch (excluding the PHEV variant for now) – model specs and derivatives will be announced at launch timing.
MAIN PRODUCT FEATURES OF THE ALL-NEW
- Available powertrains for the global market include the PHEV (not destined for SA), an HEV-equipped with high-capacity battery, a newly-developed 2.4-litre inline four-cylinder turbocharged engine, and a 2.5-litre inline four-cylinder naturally-aspirated engine – all with high thermal efficiency.
- All-wheel drive (AWD) is available on models equipped with PHEV and 2.4-litre turbo powertrains, whilst both AWD and front-wheel drive (FWD) are available on the models equipped with HEV and 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated powertrains.
- The evolution of Lexus’ unique driving signature, focusing on the control of driving force to deliver a sense of stability, power, and security
- Lexus engineers have focused on developing a linear driving feel that possesses a direct steering communication between driver and vehicle. Extensive vehicle evaluation was carried out at the Toyota Technical Center Shimoyama, thus enhancing the “Lexus Driving Signature” and ensuring the NX faithfully responds to drivers’ intentions.
- The next generation of Lexus design is rooted in athletic proportions and contributes to an impression of performance and function, reflecting the diversifying needs and lifestyles of global customers.
- The NX’s exterior design expresses a captivating form, modeling large surface units across a new, dynamic framework that has been realised through an all-new vehicle platform.
- The NX adopts the latest preventive safety technologies, as well as advanced convenience technologies, as part of the luxury brand’s human-centered approach.
- The next-generation “Lexus Safety System+” delivers cutting-edge safety technology by seamlessly partnering with and supporting the driver at all times.
- The Lexus-first e-latch system electronically controls the latching and unlatching of doors. This feature is combined with a Blind Spot Monitor to provide a “safe exit assist function (with control door opening), a world-first feature that helps to prevent accidents caused by door operation when the vehicle is stopped.
DEVELOPING THE LEXUS NX
Lexus International Chief Engineer, Takeaki Kato says, “The development of the new NX was a series of new challenges for Lexus. We implemented “digital development” to ensure quality by evaluating the well thought-out design structure under various conditions using computer models to check productivity. In terms of driving, professional racing drivers conducted an evaluation test drive at the Shimoyama test course to thoroughly ‘train’ the car’s body structure and control the driving force to inherit and evolve the Lexus driving flavour.”
A DESIGN THAT SIGNIFIES THE NEXT GENERATION OF LEXUS
In an effort to further evolve the next generation Lexus design language, the new NX distinguishes itself by focusing on vehicle proportions that enhance an athletic image and align with the model’s driving performance, function, and the clean simplicity of the new crossover’s technology. For the exterior, changes to the platform have resulted in an expressive, dynamic shape defined by softer angles and more organic forms. The interior is focused on creating a welcoming, hospitable space for each occupant and, for the first time, fully incorporates the Tazuna Concept. This human-centered cockpit philosophy enables a more seamless and intuitive connection between the driver and car to help enhance concentration on driving.
Here are some high-level design talking points:
- The familiar Lexus spindle architecture has been deepened with a three-dimensional design that starts from the spindle grille and extends significantly toward the rear fenders.
- The hood has been extended to the edge of the front end while the grille surface has been raised vertically to strengthen the front end’s mass.
- The grille pattern is a longitudinal U-shaped block with a three-dimensional effect, and a slit-like opening is provided at the bottom.
- Toward the center of the back door, the shape is narrowed in the motif of a spindle shape, and the rear fenders are shaped to sandwich the spindle shape.
- For the rear combination lamps, an elongated light bar, located across the center of the vehicle combines with the independently positioned L-shaped lamps on the left and right to enhance the unique originality of the NX.
- The revised brand mark placed in the center of the rear hatch, above the license plate symbolises the next generation of Lexus.
The exterior features include special 20-inch alloy wheels, a spoiler on the lower bumper, and front-side garnishes that deliver a sporty impression. For the interior, in addition to the newly-developed steering wheel, the front seats, aluminum pedals, and shift lever have been exclusively designed to enhance the image of driving performance. Also, the latest AVS is equipped as a standard feature to deliver a high level of handling and ride comfort.
MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM WITH ADVANCED AND CONVENIENT FEATURES
The multimedia system’s high-resolution, 14-inch touch display provides clear images, thanks to an anti-reflective coating applied to the windshield and the use of glare-reducing bonding technology.
The Lexus Premium Sound System consists of 10 speakers, including a large-capacity subwoofer box, utilising the bass reflex structure of the rear speakers and the body framework (lower back) to achieve rich and crisp low-frequency reproduction. Meanwhile, the Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound System is based on the Mark Levinson PurePlay concept.
The all-new second-generation Lexus NX offers elevated levels of driving performance, design, and advanced technology. Lexus South Africa is excited to bring the new NX to market and is confident that Lexus customers will fall in love with the NX. The all-new Lexus NX will be launched in South Africa early next year. The exact specifications and model grades will be announced at launch timing.